SDG Task Force
Establishment of an SDG Task Force for RJC
The Decade of Action calls for an acceleration of action to address the world’s biggest challenges, from gender to climate, peace and clean water. RJC is committed to leading the jewellery & watch industry on its efforts, by creating an action platform for the jewellery and watch industry to contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SGDs) by 2030. We believe in the importance of partnerships for scalable and meaningful impact and have created the SDG Taskforce to deliver on this commitment.
Objectives of the SDG Task Force
The SDG Taskforce will:
- Establish an SDG action Platform to coordinate the efforts of the industry.
- Launch a global library of best practices on the SDGs implementation.
- Function as a think-tank for new and collaborative projects on SDG implementation.
- Report regularly about the progress made through the Annual RJC Progress Report and case studies.
- Provide input into the RJC 2030 Roadmap and supporting member metrics, which will enable members to measure and report progress on the SDGs.
Composition of the taskforce
The Taskforce will be co-chaired by 2 representatives from RJC commercial members, with strategic guidance by external advisor – Georg Kell.
The members of the SDG Taskforce will reflect the whole jewellery & watch value chain, with two representatives from each of RJC’s commercial fora. Two external recognised experts will also join the taskforce, bringing with them SDG experience and insight from the NGO and academic communities.
Call to action: Join the SDG Taskforce
RJC invites its commercial members to join forces with RJC to lead the industry on SDGs by nominating one candidate to participate in the taskforce. We want companies of sizes from across the value chain and the globe to participate to ensure our efforts reflect the industry as a whole.
Commercial members can submit their nomination application via the online application form, detailing how their candidate meets the participant criteria. Each nomination received will be scored by the RJC management team according to the essential and preferable criteria (see Table below). The two candidates with the highest scores in each forum will become participants of the taskforce. In the scenario where there is a tie-break, the participant will be selected at random.
The closing date for nominations is 22 January 2021, and participants will be announced on the 5 February 2021.
If you have any questions about the SDG taskforce, please contact Bethan Robson Herbert, Senior Manager – Impacts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Taskforce participant criteria
The appointment of members as Taskforce participants by RJC will be guided by the following criteria:
- A representative of an RJC commercial member who is already certified or is actively working towards certification.
- Working in the field of sustainable development or has a strong interest in this area.
- Actively implementing or championing the SDGs in their company, or in the wider jewellery and watch supply chain.
- Committed to taking leadership, reporting progress on how the company is implementing the SDGs and willing to share impact case studies with the wider industry.
- Willing to commit reasonable amount of time and resources to actively participate in the SDG Taskforce, including but not limited to review of materials, feedback, reporting, and taking part in quarterly meetings.
- Actively collaborating/partnering with external organisations to advance SDG implementation.
- Has experience analysing large data sets and/or measuring impacts in any area of sustainable development and/or SDGs.